Thursday, January 26, 2012

Green Smoothies

Do you know about them? Are you into them? Patrick and I are a little bit obsessed these days. I typically drink one in the mornings as my breakfast. Patrick often drinks one at night after a work out. Even Charlie drinks them! We call them his Good Morning Milkshake.
Recipe-ish: (you pretty much use whatever you have)
1-2 handfuls spinach/kale/any leafy green
1 banana
Greek yogurt (I'm partial to the vanilla kind)
Sweetener- agave nectar or honey
Fruit- we have used blueberries, strawberries, peaches, pears, apples, pineapple and any combination (again, whatever we have)
Additions- hempseeds, chia seeds, raw almonds, cocao nibs
1/4 cup OJ
(Our blueberries are typically frozen, so they act as our ice)

Blend and enjoy! And, an added benifit.... my yoga instructor was talking about Green Smoothies and how it boosts your breast milk. She used the analogy of cows eating grass and how good their milk is. Same concept... the more leafy greens we eat= better milk for the baby.

A little education...
Cocoa nibs: Cacao has more antioxidant flavonoids than any food tested so far, including blueberries, red wine, and black and green teas. In fact, it has up to four times the quantity of antioxidants found in green tea!
Hempseeds: Excellent plant-based protein source
Chia seed: The mighty chia seed is a powerhouse food, high in protein, fiber and the essential omega-3 fatty acid ALA (alpha-linolenic acid), as well as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, molybdenum, niacin, and zinc.

Another recipe that I have become addicted to are Healthy Oatmeal Cookies. I add all of the above seeds and put in 1/4 cup chocolate chips. The first time I made them they were a little dry, so I added agave nectar to the next batch and they came out much chewier.

3 comments:

  1. yay! I was going to say that you should blog about this. :) How much of the seed-y things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this! i am always looking for new healthy foods - i am so glad you posted this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! About the seeds... Really I just eyeball it, but maybe 1 tsp each? A hefty teaspoon though.

    ReplyDelete