Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Daycare Delima

I thought that I was being smart when I decided last August to get on the waiting list at our preferred daycare (which happens to be 2 driveways away from ours...literally, it's just a few steps away from our back door) for this upcoming August (a year in advance, mind you). Being the only one on the waiting list, I didn't put our name on any other list because I thought that we would for sure get in. They told me then that they give preference to siblings, but even still, I thought it would be fine. Well, when I called this week to make sure we were still good to go I find out that all four spots have been filled up by siblings... so, we are now on their wait list for when Charlie turns 1 yr. old. Great... we now don't have a place to send Charlie. I went today to tour another recommended daycare and will hopefully get a call mid-July letting me know that they have a spot available. They, too, give preference to siblings and then to employees of Presbyterian Hospital, where they are located. If anyone else has any suggestions on where I should put our name on the list, please let me know. I am also open to doing a nanny share with someone. Any ideas are welcome!

3 comments:

  1. We just recently got on the waiting list at Oaklawn UMC Child Development Center. It's next to/part of Oaklawn United Methodist Church. The director's name is Delores Beare & I really got a warm fuzzy feeling when we went there. The waiting list there is different from other places. It's more like a pool & not a list. Hard to explain, but it makes sense the way she does it. Here's the website that can give you a little more information: http://www.olumc.org/index.cfm?load=page&page=159

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that stinks! The only advice I can give you is to stalk places (in a nice way). They need to know that you are serious about having your child there. And, if they know your name and how to get ahold of you, hopefully you'll be the first they call when they have a spot. Something will work out, I'm sure. At least you have a little longer to find a place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Mols...especially after working in childcare. Officially, "we go in order of the wait list". Unofficially, if you call us every week and ask about a spot we often find a spot for you. And take your cutie pie with you when you go.

    ReplyDelete