Thursday, March 5, 2009

We've got a plan!

We took the one week old back to the doctor yesterday to see about his weight. While he didn't gain any, he didn't lose any either. We consulted with the Lactation Consultant (LC) at our pediatrician's office for about an hour to see what we can do about getting Charlie on the "Gain Train".

The Problem:
Basically, I am not producing enough milk and Charlie is not sucking like he should. The lack of production can be attributed to the c-section, labor beforehand, me being a first time mom and me getting an infection and me still being on Lortab for the pain. Charlie's sucking can be attributed to him loving his paci so much and me not having the milk for him to suck down!

The Solution (or at least, The Plan as of today):
- Feed when he wants to or wake him up to feed around every 2.5 hrs. (we've been having to wake him up for every feeding.... little man is pooped after all of the feedings!)
- Get off the Lortab ASAP (the pain is the worst in the evenings, but I have gone from taking a pill every 4 hrs. to every 8 hrs. and am now working on just taking one just in the late afternoon.
- Have him feed from each side for 10 min. each. Then, have him take whatever I've pumped the session before (roughly 1 oz. each time). Then, have him take 1-2 oz. of formula (have been doing 1 oz. until last feeding where he took down 2 oz!... he's going to be chunky in no time)
- Stimulate milk production by taking Fenugreek herb pill and drinking Mother's Milk tea

Hopefully, both Charlie and I will be progressing soon!

1 comment:

  1. Fenugreek is AMAZING-I think you start off with like 4 pills/day but it works quickly. My OBGYN prescribed something too if that doesn't get you going. She also told me to have a beer at night-doctors orders!

    ReplyDelete