Friday, June 11, 2010

Kitchen Completion

Flashback: Remember when our kitchen looked like this? (Just a few short months ago?)
Crazy, right?

You see those pictures hanging above the window in the first picture? Those where made by my Great Grandmother, Granny Cherry. (On my mom's side, of course.) As where the yellow ceramic containers that are on the ledges next to the window. In our new kitchen, I really wanted to keep these as they are special heirlooms. So, I modernized the frames from this:
To this:
OK- that was step 1.


I then wanted to do something about that window... some sort of window shade/valance/cover. So I ordered some fabric and got to working. I tried to do this roman shade idea, but ended up with a roman shade-like window covering that doesn't move. That's OK. I don't mind the way it turned out (notice the yellow ceramic containers are now showcased on either side of the window):


And the complete package:


In addition to these changes, I have decided that I would like to keep fresh flowers around. Here are my latest from Sam's:


And, the completed look:

4 comments:

  1. It looks so, so good! Great job on the shade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I can't believe what a transformation! It looks wonderful, so light and airy, and I love what you did with Granny's ceramics and crewel work... so special and pulls at my heartstrings. I'm so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful! I REALLY NEED to come see it, and you, and Patrick and CHARLIE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the redo! Very glad you modernized the vintage handwork. It would have been sad to throw them away.

    ReplyDelete