Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Cheating?

Do you get the Bed Bath and Beyond coupons for 20% off regularly?  Do you use them?  A story for you... I really wanted a Vitamix for my birthday, but on the coupon it says that the 20% off can't be used for certain brands, ie. Vitamix.  So, Patrick ordered another juicer/blender online using the coupon, therefor saving him roughly $60.  I returned this blender saying that it was a gift with no receipt.  They gave me the full price for it.  I exchanged it for a Vitamix and used another 20% off coupon on it.  (Even though it clearly says it can't be used on a Vitamix, they excepted it anyways... always pays to try!)  When all was said and done, BB&B actually owed us money!  Crazy.

Another story... do you shop at The Limited?  No?  Me neither.  In fact it's probably been 15 years since I've been into that store.  But, my in-laws gave me NorthPark Gold for my birthday, so I was doing some window shopping one day.  (My rule with NP Gold is to always use it on something I wouldn't typically buy for myself.)  On this particular Tuesday, The Limited was having a Buy 1, Get 1 Free sale on their skirts, shorts, and cropped pants.  I found a skirt I adored, but really couldn't find anything else, so I walked out of the store empty handed.  I told a friend about it, who said that we could get 2 of the same skirt (one for her, one for me) and each pay 1/2 the cost.  The next day the sale was gone.  On this day they now had the skirt marked down 40%... still good, but not as good as the Tuesday sale.  So, I waited.  The next Tuesday I checked again online.  They were having a Buy 1, Get 1 Free off everything in the store!!  I bought the skirt... at the 40% discounted price... plus got another dress for free!  And, the dress was more than the skirt, but that is somehow what they discounted.  Again, crazy!

This makes me think that there are more stores out there that have "sale" days.  Or that there are other ways of "cheating" the system.  Anyone else have any tips on shopping???

1 comment:

  1. Good deals! I noticed they had a Vitamix in our Costco the other day for around $330. Tempting. I'm not great at catching super deals, but I do try to read most of those sale emails I get EVERYDAY so I become familiar with what a "good" sale is. Also, I noticed that Land of Nod and Container Store almost never have good sales or free shipping, so take advantage when it comes up! I try not to buy anything at Gap/Old Navy unless it's 30% off because they ALWAYS have a sale. 35% or 40% comes around relatively regularly, too. Seems like Ann Taylor and AT Loft have really frequent sales these days - lots of 40-50% off or BOGO.

    ReplyDelete