Monday, April 20, 2009

Traditions and Values

Since our family has grown from two to three I have been thinking a lot about family traditions that I want to impliment and values that I would like to instill in our children.

Traditions: Patrick and I have 2 that we started when we got married. Patrick implemented having bratwursts on the night of the Rangers first home game every season. I have brought one from my family of having a special New Years feast of caviar, pate, smoked salmon and champagne/sparkling cider. In addition to these, I plan on stealing some from our smart and creative friends. I love that The Watt's have a nightly "Family Prayer" time. And I love that The Greer's, instead of putting tons of candy into their children's Easter egg baskets, put flowers for the kids to plant wherever they would like. While all of these traditions are, obviously, very different they are what make a family. (If anyone has any other suggestions of traditions that we can steal, please pass them along! :)

Values: Sure, I want my children to learn good manners, learn how to eat healthy and how to help out around the house, but more than this what are the values I want to teach them to make sure they become good poeple? Here are a few off the top of my head:
1. Be nice to EVERYONE- No matter what color, size, shape or age. It really is that simple!
2. God first, others second, I am third. (Gotta love that Camp Fern motto!)
3. Don't let anyone tell you that you CAN'T do something. You CAN to whatever you want. BUT... if those things that you do should fall under the heading of "ILLEGAL", know that by doing them they will inevitably hurt you or someone that you care about.
4. Have an open mind... You can't possibly be right all of the time.
5. If you make a mistake, admit it. Everyone makes mistakes... it's human nature. But, by not admitting it you will find yourself heading down a path of trying to cover up that mistake... and you will, most likely, wind up making more of a mess for yourself. Easier just to admit it from the beginning.
6. Look for the good... in every person and/or situation.

These are all the random thoughts for now. Happy Earth Day!

1 comment:

  1. Good reminders! We had family dinner as much as possible and I think it is so important. I've read about other families who have their kids tell them EVERY NIGHT what was the best thing was about their day. I think it makes you appreciate the good things in life - big and little. Also, we had a special birthday plate and Erik had a special birthday spoon (those Asian soup spoons).

    ReplyDelete