Thursday, January 14, 2010

Resolutions

New Year's resolutions are always hard for me to keep, but this year I am really making an effort! Here are some of the resolutions I have been working on:

1. De-clutter our house. We have LOTS of stuff. LOTS of stuff that we NEVER use. LOTS of clothes that we never wear. LOTS of crap to get rid of. And, we are well on our way. About a month ago Patrick and I spent a Saturday morning cleaning out our garage, which is our only storage area in our house. It felt like a weight had been lifted off. A couple of weekends ago, I spent the weekend cleaning out our office. Another space that inevitably collects crap. It now looks like this:
It is amazing how many trips to Goodwill we have made this month. Up next? Tackling the laundry room. The desk that used to be in the office in the kitchen/den:
2. Make our home more environmentally friendly. I have set a schedule of things to do each month to make our home, and us, more eco-friendly because let's be honest... this stuff costs $$$! At least up front. And then you enjoy the benefits later on by reducing your electric and water bills. I guess we actually started this last year by getting all new windows. And, that has already paid off in terms of the electric bill... it's crazy how much we are saving! Other things I have done are:
Using Smart Strips... great for your T.V.'s and computer.
Installing Low Flow shower heads
Using a dualing trash can... one side for trash, the other for recycling
Using eco-friendly lightbulbs
3. I always make the same resolution of losing weight and never seem to keep it, so this year I am tweeking it a bit. Eat better. One of my good friends has a rule about eating... she tries to only eat things that she knows what went into it. So, if she looks at the back of a box/can and doesn't know what half the ingredients are, then she doesn't eat it. Essentially this means eating more fresh foods and eating more organically. It also means cooking more at home... that way you know what you are putting in what you eat. So far, so good. I have started picking out recipes for the week and gathering the ingredients on Sunday. Another resolution that goes along with this one is that I want to start actually using my cookbooks! I rely on the internet too much and have all of these great cookbooks that I should be using. I think this will make me a better cook, too.
4. The last, but not least, New Year's resolution is one that both Patrick and I have. To continue being the best mom and wife I can be. God knows, it takes work from both you and your partner to make a happy home!

4 comments:

  1. sounds like a good list! And, you are going to be so happy to have that extra space for Charlie in your office. Mainly for all his stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm adopting your resolutions as my own. I need to do all of those things - especially De-Clutter! I've already started that one. Great list overall! Oh & if I had to guess which friend doesn't eat unless she knows what went into it, I'd guess Carrie. :-) A great way to make yourself eat better though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, this post is an inspiration to me! I'm going to follow your lead and start the 'de-cluttering' at my house, too! Oh, and BTW, I love the desk now in the great room.

    ReplyDelete