Sunday, January 31, 2010

That kind of day...

This week has been "Mission Bathroom". In our guest/Charlie's bathroom we had, what looks like, the original faucet. I thought that I could easily go to Lowe's, buy a $100 updated faucet and replace it myself. I attempted to replace the faucet three separate times all without success. (One time I even accidentally turned off the gas water heater thinking it was water, the house started smelling like gas (or so I thought) and I had to remedy the situation). Anywho, it was suggested that maybe we should just get a handyman to help us out. So, admitting defeat, we called our friend, Mr. Handyman, who regularly helps us out with odd end jobs that we won't tackle for fear that we will screw something up. Mr. Handyman came over and worked on the faucet for 2 hrs, was sweating and cussing the whole way through, and finally admitted that he just couldn't do it. Oh, and by the way, there is now a leak under the sink which might or might not need immediate attention. He leaves and within 2 hrs. I had a bucketfull of water underneath the sink. We call a plumber who has also done some work for us in the past and, thankfully, he has time that day to come help. Faucet repair and installation- $350, installing up-to-code water valves-$150, installation of something else that I didn't quite get-$60. We are now up to $630 for a simple faucet update that I was supposed to be able to do myself for $100. Boo. They were here for about two hours when I hear "Um, Jennifer, Can you come in here please?" Uh oh. Apparently the previous owners had tried to replace the faucet as well and had damaged the sink in the process. They had used calk to "bandaid" it. My options were that we could just re-calk it and pray that it doesn't leak or we were looking at replacing the sink, which would ruin the countertop, essentially leading to a bathroom remodel. Um, no. We aren't prepared to do that at the moment, especially with my kitchen dreams hopefully coming true in the near future. I told the plumber "You calk that sucker up and we will just hope and pray that it holds". We now have a bethroom that looks like this:




It's pretty, but had I known that it would be this much of a headache I would have just lived with the original faucet. We have yet to turn on the faucet to see if it leaks. I'm too scared. Obviously, we will probably have to replace everything before we ever move, but we'll cross that bridge when/if we ever come to it.

4 comments:

  1. I hate projects like that. We seem to have the same luck. Looks nice, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't home ownership grand? Sorry it was such a hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmm...maybe I should have read this yesterday. I used the sink so if it is slowly leaking-I'm sorry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen... be VERY cautious about that caulked plumbing. We ended up having to rip out our bedroom & bathroom floor TO THE GROUND due to rot caused by that very thing (unknown to us). Quite an expensive ordeal!!!!

    ReplyDelete