Saturday, August 21, 2010

Injury Prone

I have had my fair share of bizarre injuries. Let me share:

1) I broke my leg at the age of 2 trying to climb out of my crib. BROKE it. I have always blamed this on Julie thinking she probably pushed me out of the crib. But, now that I am older and have a toddler of my own I am thinking that maybe, just maybe I was too old to be in a crib. I was 2... come on, mom.

2) In high school my back-handspringed my way into a desk.... in the middle of a gym. Why was there a desk in the middle of a gym? I don't know either. Result= sprained ankle and crutches.

(I also cartwheeled into a pool table. Result= sprained ankle and crutches... again.)

3) At summer camp, when I was 21, (I know, I know- those two first things shouldn't be in the same sentence, but that's another story) I got bitten by a copperhead on my left foot. Had a hospital stay. At one point my leg became so swollen that the doctor said that if they couldn't get it down then they would have to amputate. I remember thinking "Do it already. There is too much pressure in my leg. Life will go on without a leg." For years after that when I pressed on my left foot it would leave an indention. Pretty freaky.

(I'm not counting this one, as it's not really that bizarre. But, a few years back I was walking to a car late at night and fell into a pot hole. It gashed my leg to the bone. I probably should have gone to get stitches, but didn't. Now I have a pretty dent on my shin to remind me to just suck it up and go to the doctor.)

All of this leads me to my latest bizarre-o accident. The doctor is calling it a "left index finger tip amputation". That's right, I accidently (of course) cut off the tip of my left index finger.... with scissors...doing a craft...at school. That's the bizarre part. The doctor said that these type of accidents aren't really that rare, but they typically involve a knife. Not scissors and certainly not doing a craft. This happened on Wednesday. I spent the afternoon in CareNow (which is where you go for Workman's Comp in Mesquite) and spent the rest of the night and most of Thursday on some serious pain meds. It was amazing how much blood there was. My friend actually found the tip laying on a table, but said that it had already started to die, so she didn't save it. So, I have an open wound. The doctor tried to put silver nitrate on it to deaden the capillaries, but it bled too much to work. So, she pressure packed it and it is on the way to mending itself. At my check up yesturday it was still bleeding. She wants me to wear this for a month:


Pretty, eh? Good thing I have a beach trip coming up in two short weeks.

And she said not to be surprised if my nail falls off. Awesome!! Luckily, Patrick has been superdad and has pretty much been on Charlie duty since this happened. Many thanks to him.

And now, for the money shot... get ready, it's pretty bad...

6 comments:

  1. Holy lord! You really are accident prone. Guess it's back to safety scissors for you, huh? :) Erik did the same thing to his thumb a few years ago with a mandolin. I thought it would never heal and he would have a wonky thumb, but it all went back to normal. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG-seriously vomited a little in my mouth. No need for any more money shots. You deserve an extra glass tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. sorry, that last picture is sick. hope it is a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG.

    Also, I don't find it at all weird that you used the words summer camp and being 20 something in the same sentence. Nor do I think getting bit by a copperhead at said camp is weird. Go figure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I am not sure if I should laugh or cry! that money shot just made me pretty queasy (and it made Will have to leave the room =)). good luck, I hope it heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete