Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Clapton Winwood

Hello. Blogmaster P returns.

From Winwood Clapton Concert
Last night we went to the Eric Clapton Steve Winwood concert. Great show. For those that don't know, Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood were in the band Blind Faith together in the early '70s, when Clapton was between bands (Cream and Derek & the Dominoes) and Winwood's band Traffic was on hiatus. Blind Faith only made one album, but it had some great songs. Anyway, Jenn and I figured the concert would be the two guys doing some Blind Faith songs at the start, then each would take the stage by themselves. Instead, they occupied the stage together for 2.5 hours, mixing the Blind Faith songs with songs from their solo careers and from their former bands. Clapton was on his guitar the whole time, and Winwood rotated from electric guitar to organ to piano to accoustic guitar.

We tried to forget the tickets twice, but no harm no foul. This is Jenn retrieving the tickets after the second time.

From Winwood Clapton Concert

We got settled in our seats. One cookies n cream ice cream, one plastic cup of red wine and a sprite.

From Winwood Clapton Concert

They opened with a great Blind Faith song, "Had to Cry Today", with Clapton and Winwood on dueling guitars that warmed the crowd up.

From Winwood Clapton Concert

Winwood spent most of the rest of the concert behind the organ, where they played "After Midnight", "Forever Man", "Presence of the Lord", "Pearly Queen", and a 20 minute version of Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Child".

From Winwood Clapton Concert

After an unexpected Steve Winwood solo of "Georgia On My Mind" on his organ, they did a four song accoustic set, highlighted by "Layla" and an outstanding version of "Can't Find My Way Home".

From Winwood Clapton Concert

For an encore, they traded off two of their biggest hits, which left everyone in the crowd fulfilled.

From Winwood Clapton Concert

I think I made the right choice for my Father's Day gift, thanks to my wife for making the evening special and for going with me. And an assist to the Allen Grandparents for babysitting Charlie so all of this was possible.

5 comments:

  1. I would think the scorekeeper has to give Chuz an assist too. Without him, no Father's Day for Rick and no Winwood/Clapton Reunion Tour for the Allens. Good job Slimer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting point, but wouldn't we have just gone anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss the Eric Clapton part of that concert-I only remebered you were going to see Steve Winwood. Were you writing the set list down as it played or did you pull it up as soon as you got home? Someone who will remain nameless in this household regularly does both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubt it. Circle of life. Guy meets girl, guy dates girl, guy marries girl, guy and girl get pregnant & have Chuz, guy and girl go to steve winwood/eric clapton mega-show for father's day. It had to happen like this. Boom.

    "I ain't 'fraid of no ghosts..."
    - Ray Parker Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was writing nothing down, my head is full of knowledge. Oh, and I was drinking sprite. That helps.

    ReplyDelete